What Do You Appreciate?
Taking the time to think about what is good in your life can help you get into the habit of having positive thoughts and feelings. It can give you the chance to feel joy and happiness during your day. And it can help you stay positive in the face of stress. When you think about good things, you are sending a message to your body to relax.
Here are 2 ways you can help your mind to think positively:
When you are feeling stressed, follow these steps to think about things that are good in your life:
1. Take 3 slow, deep breaths. On the third breath, think about:
- Someone you care deeply about
- A beautiful place
- An act of kindness done for you
2. At any point during the day, take 1–2 minutes for a positive thinking break.
- For 15–30 seconds, focus your full attention on someone you care about.
- For 15–30 seconds, think about a place you find beautiful.
- For 15–30 seconds, think fondly about a kindness someone did for you.
Adapted from Stress Free for Good: 10 Scientifically Proven Life Skills for Health and Happiness , by F. Luskin and K. R. Pelletier, 2005, New York: HarperSanFrancisco.