Healthyroads Resolutions Reboot
Already missed a few days at your gym and feel like you’re behind on your New Year’s Resolutions?
Don’t despair! Studies show that people who exercise at home stick to workout routines much better than those who visit gyms. In fact, one study found that adults who worked out at home were 32 percent more likely to follow an exercise program than those who used a fitness center.
Now that you know the perks of home exercise, here are some ideas for staying on track with your New Year’s Resolutions:
- Try good, old-fashioned calisthenics like squats, chair dips, lunges and push-ups. They’re free and you can find videos online to follow proper workout form.
- Find and follow online video workouts, or check out videos from your public library. Try a variety until you find what appeals to you and keeps you motivated.
- Buy basic gear, like resistance bands. They’re inexpensive, portable and don’t take up much storage space.
- Head outdoors for active adventures like hiking, jogging, snow sledding, skiing or biking .
- If you have the space, invest in exercise equipment like a treadmill or elliptical trainer, so you can work out while you watch TV at home. You can find good used equipment online or in your local news publications.
Don’t feel bad about missing a day at the gym. Just reboot your Resolutions at home!
(Before starting a home workout routine, ask your doctor or a certified fitness professional to discuss the best exercises for your needs. If you buy exercise equipment, learn to use it safely and correctly before working out with it. )