Trim Down With Daily Activities
Taking in fewer calories promotes weight loss. But it’s only half of the equation. To lose weight and keep it off, you have to burn calories, too. So make it a goal to start moving more than you do now. Finding time for daily activities is a good place to start.
You don’t need to be a fan of the gym to trim down. You don’t need to revamp your daily schedule either. To burn off calories, start with short bursts of daily activity. Here are some ways to add more movement to your routine:
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator.
- Park your car at the far end of the parking lot when you shop.
- Take a walk during your morning break, lunch hour, or after dinner.
- Wash your car by hand instead of using the automated car wash.
- Get off of the train or bus one stop early; walk the rest of the way.
- Pull weeds, rake leaves, or plant flowers in your garden.
- Play tag or ride bikes with your kids.
- Mow the lawn instead of hiring a gardener.
- Walk your dog an extra block or 2 when you get home from work.
By fitting in 2–3 of these activities each day, it’s easy to cut extra calories. Over time, a little more movement throughout the day can help you reach your weight loss goals.