How Joining a Sports Team Can Help You Achieve Your Fitness Goals
By: Kaitlin Cofer
“How joining a sports team can help you achieve your fitness goals”
Remember the days when your life was consumed by school and sports practices? You would wake up as a child, go to school, get picked up by your carpool, and ushered to some type of physical activity. Now that we are adults, what does our daily routine really consist of? Waking up, going to work, and doing it all over again the next day? It doesn’t have to be that way. There are so many adult sports teams all over the country. Whether it is adult softball, indoor soccer, beach volleyball or a hip hop dance team, there is a group activity for you. Joining an adult sports league can be extremely beneficial to your overall well-being. And, since this month is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, we wanted to list a few of the benefits of joining a team.
- You can automatically have 6 – 12 new friends. Joining a sports team can bring you together with a new group of people who are looking to be fit and healthy as well.
- You will have a weekly set social hour or two. Studies show that being around people, laughing, and exercising are beneficial to your overall health, and that smiling and exercising help increase heart health and longevity.
- You get to wear a cool t-shirt. Obviously, one of the best parts of playing on a sports team is being able to wear that sweet orange or bright blue shirt with your teammates. Wearing it to the gym or out and about after the game is also special because you are showing off the fact that you are a part of a team.
- You have something to look forward to each week. That scheduled hour once or twice a week to play your sport is something to look forward to. And when the work week is especially tough, you can count on your team being at the field, studio, or gym, waiting for you.
- You can become fitter and healthier. Any added exercise is good for your health. If all else fails and the team practices and games are your only exercise, then at least you are scheduling exercise a couple of times a week.
Honestly, there aren’t many reasons not to join a sports team, unless you consider friends, fun, and fitness as negative. But if it’s been a while since you last worked out on a regular basis or if you have a health condition, play it safe. Talk with your doctor first to make sure the sport you have in mind is safe for you.
So, get on the internet, research adult sports leagues in your area, and join a team! Don’t be nervous or shy—everyone on the team is looking for new friends and people to play with!
Never played a team sport before? No problem—this is your chance. You can learn a game as you go, which is the most productive way to learn a new skill.
Good luck and go get ‘em!