Fiber: How Much Is Enough?
Fiber has many health benefits. And getting enough is important. But how much is enough? In general, women need 25 grams of fiber a day. Men need 38 grams of fiber a day.
If you want to increase the amount of fiber in your diet, here are some tips:
- Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day (1 serving = ½ cup).
- Switch to whole grain breads that have at least 2.5 grams of fiber per slice.
- Bake with whole grain flour.
- Include beans (such as garbanzo, kidney, lima) in your cooking at least 3 times a week.
- Nibble on popcorn.
- Eat foods that have at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.
But do not eat too much high fiber food all at once. Fiber can cause gas and bloating if you eat too much at once or increase how much you eat too quickly. The key is to slowly increase how much fiber you eat. This gives your intestinal tract time to adapt.