EAT HEALTHY THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
‘Tis the season for family, festivities … and fattening foods! But you don’t have to let those temptations weigh you down. You can be part of the fun without adding on pounds by following these tips.
When you’re going to a party:
- Snack first. Eat a healthy snack before you leave home. You’ll be less likely to eat too much at the party.
- Practice portion control. Don’t cut out the foods you love completely. Just eat smaller portions.
- Go easy on the alcohol. Alcohol is full of empty calories. Limit how much you drink. Or choose a different drink, such as sparkling water with lemon.
- Bring a healthy dish. Veggie plates and fruit salad are great options and additions for the buffet table.
When you’re throwing a party:
- Forget frying. Grill, bake or broil meats, vegetables and other foods instead of frying them.
- Cook healthy. Use nonfat or low-fat milk when you cook and reduce the fats. Try using applesauce instead of butter to bake cookies.
- Offer choices. When it comes to drinks, give your guests healthier choices, such as juice, water and tea.
- Get active. Make games and activities the center of your party instead of food.
By planning ahead, you can make sure that your holidays are full of fun instead of fattening foods. For more healthy holiday tips, visit our Healthyroads Pinterest board.