FEELING BURNT OUT AT WORK? TRY CATCHING SOME Zs!
As you likely know, work isn’t always easy. It can take a lot of effort. Think about the effort it takes to be on your feet all day. Or to focus for hours on a project. Or to stay calm when you’re frustrated with a coworker. These efforts can drain you—physically, mentally, and emotionally. And that can affect how well you do your work.
If you don’t relax and recharge, then the problem may get worse. You may start to feel sapped sooner. This can make you feel more anxious, less in control, and less focused on your work. And the longer this goes on, the worse it can get. It may lead to what’s known as burnout.
One of the best ways you can avoid burnout is to get good quality sleep. Sleep gives your body the physical, mental, and emotional rest it needs. It helps you recharge and recover from the pressures of work. To get the most from your sleep, follow these 3 tips:
- Get enough sleep. That’s around 6 to 8 hours a night for most people. But sleep needs may vary based on age, health conditions, and other factors. So find the right amount for you where you feel rested when you wake in the morning.
- Stick to a regular sleep schedule. That means waking up and heading to bed around the same time each day. A consistent wake-up time is the most crucial. If you want to sleep in, try to keep it to twice a week, for no more than an extra hour.
- Get good quality sleep. The best way to do that is to practice healthy sleep habits. These include:
- Avoiding caffeine and alcohol in the evenings
- Doing relaxing activities before bed
- And keeping your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet
Studies have shown a strong link between sleep and work performance. Good quality sleep appears to reduce stress. It also seems to improve self-control. And it may help increase work engagement. That is, it may help you become more excited and interested in your work.
So the next time you’re tempted to work through the night, think again. It’s probably better to get a good night’s sleep and be at your best the next day.